Varicose Vein Treatments Get Your Legs Ready for Summer
Summer is the time to kick off your shoes and enjoy sunny skies and warm temperatures. For varicose vein sufferers, however, the start of summer means looking for ways to hide those unsightly, bulging veins under clothing that is far from summer-friendly. If you are dreading the season because of unattractive, uncomfortable varicose veins, we have good news for you. At PCI Veins, we offer a variety of minimally-invasive treatments to eliminate those varicose veins and enjoy smoother, healthier legs all season long.
Are Varicose Veins Just Cosmetic?
For some, varicose veins are primarily a cosmetic issue. However, others may develop uncomfortable symptoms like aching, night cramping and swelling of the lower extremities. Symptoms are usually a sign the underlying vein condition that is causing the varicose veins is worsening. Fortunately, the same treatments that eliminate the appearance of the veins also eliminate the symptoms that might accompany them.
What are My Treatment Options?
At PCI Veins, we offer the following treatment options for varicose veins:
- Venefit Closure – uses radiofrequency energy to seal varicose veins closed so they can be reabsorbed by the body
- EVLT – (endovenous laser treatment) works in a similar fashion to Venefit, only laser energy is used to treat the veins rather than RF energy
- Micro Phlebectomy – recommended for larger varicose veins, this procedure uses tiny incisions and a special tool to remove affected veins in small sections
- Clarivein – combines a special injectable solution with mechanical agitation to irritate vein linings so the vein seals closed and is eliminated by the body
- Venaseal – this procedure, recently approved by the FDA, uses a medical adhesive to close the affected vein with less risk than thermal heating
How Much Time will I Need to Take Off Work and Activities?
All of the procedures listed above can be performed on an outpatient basis, usually under local anesthesia. The procedures typically take less than one hour to complete, depending on the number of veins to be treated. Most patients are able to return to work or other activities immediately following treatment or the next day. This means you can choose to treat your veins at any time without missing out on all the fun summer has to offer.
When Will I See Results?
Results of these treatments can typically be seen right away, and will continue to improve in the days following the procedure as the leg heals completely. These procedures do not require you to stay out of the sun completely following treatment, as long as you are careful to use sun protection throughout the season to safeguard the treated area. Results from these procedures are also considered permanent, although new veins can eventually form in the same basic area. If this occurs, additional treatments may be recommended to maintain your positive results.
Summer is a time to enjoy the weather, friends and family, not a time to hide indoors because of your varicose veins. To learn more about your options in varicose vein treatment, contact PCI Veins at 319-774-8432 to schedule your personal consultation with Dr. David Lawrence.